Thursday, September 23, 2004

Little Shop...Little Shop of Horrors...

I finally had a chance to see this musical on stage last Tuesday night, and let me tell ya...it's just a touch darker than the movie. I guess the magic of tinseltown strikes again!

Aside from the themes of abuse, as well as murder for personal gain...the show was pretty cute. Yes folks...this is a comedy. For those of you who aren't familiar with Little Shop of Horrors, it was written by the same creative team behind Disney's Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, and Aladdin. Like those Disney favorites, Little Shop's tunes are quite catchy...with moving melodies.

I was surprised that the cast was so small. Aside from the principles (Seymour, Audrey, Mr. Mushnik, Orin, and a doo-wop trio...and Audrey II, if you count the plant), there were only about 5 other cast members. The actor playing Orin was pulling overtime or something...having to perform 3 additional characters parts in one scene. The small casting works for this show...it's just not something I'm used to when I see a National Tour.

No comments: